Tuesday, September 18, 2007

HW 5b: "I Blog, Therefore I Am"

On page 238 of David Kline’s “I Blog, Therefore I Am” (Kline and Burstein 237-252), the author suggests that blogging will “engender massive change in our society, most especially in the role and power of the mainstream media.” From this quote, it’s easy to see that Kline thinks very highly of blogging and the future of blogging in this world. However, I disagree with this statement and especially with the idea of blogging becoming competition for mass media. To agree, blogging is a community that works in it’s own world in a very efficient manner. But it is a much different world in the mainstream media. The mainstream media is an empire surrounded by money and politics. Now, I should probably tell you I’m studying journalism to hopefully major in it after my education here. I love to write and I love to read good writing and honestly, only the best blogs get printed to be read across a mainstream medium. I have read a lot of good and professional blogs, but it is never the same as a more professional or traditional method of communication. I can acknowledge the author’s standpoint, but I can not support it.

No comments: